Thursday, April 9, 2015

Helicopter Mom meet Drone Mom

I hope some of you moms can relate to this.  But, I also hope that we can get something positive out of  it.
  Before I get to the meat of the story and hopefully make some of you all feel better about yourselves and your parenting, let's discuss meditating on God's word. You know how you are studying scripture and maybe a certain verse/s or a word keeps coming to the forefront of your mind?  I find that I start to meditate on it and maybe do a little research on it.  Well, sometimes certain little scriptures keep popping into my head through-out the day.  Lately, mine has been Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.  This little verse, thankfully came to mind, in the nick of time.
  So without further ado, I will commence to humbling myself, with a story about myself.
  You know those days or moments when everything seems to be out of control and everybody "wants" something from you!? I was having said moment the other day. Let me paint you a picture of the scene.  My 2 year old, bless his heart, was trying to take his maple syrup drenched plate to the sink, all the while making a messy maple syrup trail, just in case he got lost, in order to get back to the table. I am not sure which is worse spilled milk or maple syrup.  Each spill takes several floor cleanings before the floor doesn't feel so sticky. Whoever coined the phrase "Don't cry over spilled milk," probably didn't understand how much milk was going to cost to a family of 9. Or how many gallons you go through. Back to the "moment."  Baby is crying. Older children still having school out and all over the table, while they decided they were hungry and needed to cook lunch. Kitchen/dinning room just was a good-ol fashioned mess.  I believe several other children were asking me questions and one was back-talking. Last straw!  That's it, that's when it happened! HULK MOMMY!! Hulk mommy. ANGRY! I quickly went from helicopter mom to drone mom-I will hunt you down!!!  Not sure if drone mom is a thing, if not it should be. I threw my yelling fit, as loud as I could.  In that moment, my verse came to me.  Psalm 118:24.  The words rang loud in my ear, loud enough to get through those green ears. It was the second part that had me stop right in my tracks and cool down. I will rejoice and be glad in it.  My heart was far from rejoicing. God doesn't mess around when He tells us to mediate on His word.  It saves us from possible screw-ups and failures.
As soon as I came to my senses I realized my back door was opened and our back-door neighbor had windows open. I instantly felt shame.  Repented and even apologized to my children. 5 minutes later, one of my older boys came to me and said, "you realize you were yelling very loud with our back-door open?" Yes, I admitted and humbling told him that I was ashamed of my actions.  I am not saying that we can never be angry or feel anger.  There is a proper way to react, and I did no such thing.
  Life is hard, but I find if I am rejoicing, it seems to be a happier place. Some little verses to mediate on.
May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the Lord. Psalm 104:34
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Philippians 4:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.  Joshua 1:8
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you. Isaiah 26:3
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.  Psalm 119:11
Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah  Psalm 4:4
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  Philippians 4:13
Rejoice always; again I will say, rejoice.  Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment